• Homecoming t-shirts $10 sold at lunch starting Monday,8/13

• Ticket Presales for 42nd Street up now MVHS.booktix.com

• Football Game Friday, 8/17 @ Hamilton Heights

The MV Current

The MV Current

CVS prescription drug convocation

More stories from Maggie Brown

On Tuesday, September 12, students were called down to the auditorium, one grade at a time, and were presented with a powerful message.

CVS Health presented “One Choice Makes All the Difference,” a video and lecture on the dangers of prescription drug abuse. Students learned facts and were told stories of people who survived drug abuse, and others who were not so lucky.

Erin Hays, a pharmaceutical student at Butler university who graduated from MV, shared a personal story of a friend of hers who recently died from heroin overdose. Her friend started his descent into drug abuse with a handful of oxycontin at a college get together, and ended up dropping out of college and eventually became hooked on heroin.

“I went to his funeral yesterday, and he was only 27 years old,” Hays told the crowd of students.

She and CVS associate Chad Lesczynski showed a short film about those affected by prescription drugs and played a game called fact or fiction.

This convocation is a part of CVS’s new movement to tackle the opioid crisis. Students can read more about this at http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/22/health/cvs-prescription-restrictions-opioids-bn/index.html.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “CVS prescription drug convocation”

1. Kaitlyn Hays on November 15th, 2017 9:25 AM

Taylor Swift poster contest. ps, Erin Hays is my older cousin who spoke at this convocation

[Reply]

2. Lizzy Hiatt on November 15th, 2017 9:36 AM

This convocation really opened my eyes on what happens to people and has also made me aware of what to look for in my friends if they start doing drugs.

[Reply]

3. Dean Falkenberg on November 15th, 2017 10:32 AM

This convocation was a great idea. More and more people are dying because of prescription drug abuse. When I had a minor surgery in the past, the doctor gave me a 30 day supply of a pain killer. I was done with the drug in just three days. I ended up flushing the extra pills, This is an example of how people can get these legal drugs and then abuse them or sell them to others.

[Reply]

4. Sara on November 15th, 2017 7:29 PM

Opioid addiction is a huge problem in society. Pharmaceutical companies and pharmacies need to take an active role in stopping the problem.

[Reply]

5. Claire Jaques on November 20th, 2017 1:14 PM

This is a big problem, and this message is very powerful. Addiction effects many people and is a serious and important matter.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

CVS prescription drug convocation