Michigan School Shooting

Cade Clark, MVC Writer

According to the Oakland County Sheriff, Michael Bouchard, at roughly 12:52 p.m. on November 30th, shots sprung from 15 year old Ethan Crumbley’s 9 mm handgun at Oxford High School in Oakland County, Michigan. Shortly after, more than 100 calls were made to emergency services

Just hours before the fatal shooting took place, Crumbley and his parents attended an in-person meeting at the school with teachers to discuss behavioral issues.

“We have since learned that the school did have contact with the student the day before and the day of the shooting for behavior in the classroom that they felt was concerning,” Sheriff Bouchard said in a public news conference.

Crumbley reportedly got the gun from his father who bought the firearm on Black Friday. It was a 9mm Sig Sauer SP2022 semi automatic pistol. Crumbley had also been seen on social media firing the firearm at practice targets.

Crumbley had no previous record with police and nothing in his file at the school that hinted at a possible incident. However, the Detroit Free Press reported that some students, family, and faculty had heard possible rumors. A parent even sent a letter to the Detroit Free Press about possible threats to student safety in early November. 

“My sons said they’d seen some things on social media, but that neither one of them took them seriously,” Stephen Cumbey, the father of two students in attendance wrote. “They figured since the school wasn’t saying anything, they didn’t need to worry about it.” 

Cumbey was also the parent who wrote the letters to the Free Press in early November.

Since the shooting, 4 students have been pronounced dead. Six other students and one member of the faculty were injured.

Crumbley was a sophomore and is currently at the Oakland County Jail. He is not cooperating with police. Police have recovered Crumbley’s personal journal that outlined his intentions to harm students at Oxford High School. Most recently both of Crumbley’s parents have been arrested and charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter.

The investigation is currently ongoing.