Grammys 2020 Recap

Gabe Thomas, Staff Writer

The 2020 Grammys occurred on January 26, 2020 and here is the recap of the award ceremony. 

The Grammys opened with Lizzo singing her hits “Cuz I Love You” and “Truth Hurts.” Then host, Alicia Keys, came out to speak about the tragic death of Kobe Bryant, since they were in the stadium that “Kobe Built” due to the success he had in that stadium. Then Keys and Boyz II Men performed a touching tribute to Kobe while his jersey was illuminated. Next The Jonas Brothers performed and Lizzo won Best Pop Song for “Truth Hurts.”

After, Tyler, The Creator performed “Earfquake,” with Boyz II Men and Charlie Wilson and another song,  “New Magic Wand,” from his 2019 album IGOR. Which went on to win Rap Album of the Year. 

Afterward, Ariana Grande performed “Thank U, Next” and  “7 Rings.” Then an incredible performance by Lil Nas X, where he performed his smash hit, “Old Town Road.” During the performance, he brought out Billy Ray Cyrus, BTS, Mason Ramsey and Diplo. He then performed “Rodeo” with rap legend Nas. 

The big winner that night was 18-year-old Billie Eilish who performed “When the Party’s Over” with her brother Finneas. She went on to win five Grammys, including; Best New Artist, Best Pop Vocal Album and Album of the Year for “When We Fall asleep, Where Do We Go?”

Song of the Year, Record of the Year and Pop Vocal Performance for “Bad Guy.”

Some people thought her wins were underserved, as  MVHS Student Max Roberts 10, said, “I don’t think she deserved to win five I don’t even think she deserved to win one.”

That was the 2020 Grammys all the performances are on the artists’ YouTube channel.