The Beginning of Aida

Madalyn Cottrell, Staff Writer

Last month on January 7 and 8, forty-one students auditioned to be a part of MV Theatre’s spring show Aida. Auditions are a nerve wracking experience for some, but the students came through and gave it their all. Thirty-seven students ended up making the final cast; however, with auditions and the first few weeks of preparation over, rehearsals are now finally in full swing

MV Theatre’s fall show “Shrek the Musical” was a hit with both MVHS students and members of the community who came to see it. 

“I love seeing Shrek,” said Alaina Moore, 12. “I love seeing productions put on by other shows, and this one definitely blew me away.” 

Aida also brought back a familiar face. Alyjah Duff choreographed the 2019 spring show “High School Musical: On Stage!” and he has returned once again to take on the role of choreographer. 

“I am super excited Alyjah came back for ‘Aida,’” said Jenna Nicodemus, 12. “He is such a talented dancer and choreographer, it is for sure going to be a great show.” 

The next four months are going to be dedicated to refining the show all the way up until performance weekend. It can be a grueling process for students involved in theatre, but the cast and crew are always proud of the final product produced. 

“I cannot express my excitement for this show,” said Kaylee Johnson-Bradley, 12. “This cast is already pouring their heart into the show. I couldn’t be more proud of this team. Truly, I believe that ‘Aida’ will be something special, and a show that MVHS will not forget.” 

Elton John and Tim Rice’s “Aida” embarks on the epic love story of Aida, the enslaved Nubian princess who falls in love with the Egytian princess’s betrothed, Captain Radames. “Aida” is unlike anything that has ever been seen on the stage at Mt. Vernon due to how intense and dark the plot is. Tickets for the general public have just gone on sale, and performances take place April 30 through May 3.