Best Buddies

Katelynn Hexamer

Kammy and Yaribelle playing UNO with MVHS students

Katelynn Hexamer, Staff Writer

Since September 26, 2019, Best Buddies has had two meetings.They have gotten to know the Co-Presidents Grace Marchal and Katelynn Hexamer,both juniors, meet with Mrs. Manship, and of course, meet with all of the kids. They also worked on t-shirt designs, watched a video about EKS day, and played with the kids. 

According to the official website, Best Buddies is, “a nonprofit 501 organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.” 

Grace Marchal has many goals for Best Buddies this year. 

“I think my hopes for this year is to make sure that people with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities feel included in this school,” she said. “I hope to create an atmosphere for the kids that have always felt left out to feel like they have a place to make friends to help them along the way and to help them create great memories they will remember forever. I hope to make long time friendships for not only myself but for other people. I hope to make Best Buddies a club where people join to truly help others and feel like they have a place of belonging.” 

A transition student, which is students over the age of 18 with disabilities, Brant Mize enjoys his time at Best Buddies.  

“I get to play basketball, uno, and watch videos on my IPad with my friends. I like to make new friends in Best Buddies.” he said.