Indoor Percussion begins

More stories from Piper Todd

Riley Festival
November 10, 2021
Student Art Show
October 26, 2021

Piper Todd

Indoor Percussion begins

On November 13, 2018, Mt. Vernon Indoor Percussion began. Over 21 students went to the open call to participate in learning their show. The group ensemble consists of mallet instruments and racks filled with many instruments. Many of the students participating are extremely excited to perform their show at their first competition in February.

Their show is titled “Prelude to Paradise” by Jacob Remington. The show is a dark, contemporary, and violent piece. It consists of three parts, each part having its own special feature. The piece consists of various sounds not traditionally used in shows.

The group will work for about two months perfecting their show before competing against other schools. They will compete in class Scholastic A under concert shows, where the performers are stationary while playing.

“I feel like we’re having a slow start, but it has a lot of potential,” said Miracle Williams, 11. “Especially with the level of experience within our group.  It is a definite challenge, but I think our work in the beginning will really pay off. Our show is amazing. It is very difficult but such a beautiful piece. There is so much emotion and it is so much fun to learn.”

The group will continue to practice for a month and a half before heading to their first competition on February 9, 2019. They will compete at New Palestine High School against other schools hoping to claim their position as first in their class.