Shrek the Musical

Lord+Farquaad+

Katelynn Hexamer

Lord Farquaad

Madalyn Cottrell, Staff Writer

The cast of Shrek the Musical took their final bows on Sunday, November 24th. For the last 4 months, the crew, cast, and creative team have been working to put on an unforgettable performance. Shrek received a lot of positive feedback from several audiences, and was nearly sold out for the last three performances. 

“Shrek was a great success,” said Ms. Davis, the director of Shrek. “We had one of the largest turnouts for every production, and the audiences seemed to love it.” 

What happens backstage is kept under the radar until show week peaks. The directors like to preserve the magic of the show so audiences can truly experience live theatre.

What the casts endure before the  show is also a mystery to audiences on the outside looking in.  “Circle Time” is a sacred pre-show tradition for the theatre department. Before shows, students link hands and share memories and laughs about their experiences working in the show, and different grade groups get to speak each night of the show. Many tears are shed before and after the shows, and closing nights are rather bittersweet, especially for seniors performing some of their final shows. 

“Being in ‘Shrek the Musical’ was a fantastic experience I never want to forget,” said Kaylee Johnson-Bradley, 12. “The theatre department is truly a place where students can express themselves in unique and inspiring ways. And I believe this show really shined through in that aspect.” 

Cast aren’t the only ones that develop bonds and attachments through the course of the production, students who work behind the scenes.  For the first time, Mt Vernon Theatre saw its first student producer. 

“My experience in ‘Shrek’ was incredible – day one everyone was so organized,” said Tony Flemming, 12, the student producer. “Everyone was so accepting and I felt right at home.”

There is always another season to look forward too. Auditions for Elton John’s Aida are just around the corner. 

Aida follows the story of the enslaved Nubian princess Aida and her tragic love story, and any MV students can audition for the next show on January 9th and 10th.