Girl’s tennis is a hit

Emma Moore, MVC Staff Writer

The girls’ tennis team has started their 2019 season.  This new season began immediately after spring break. The 26 tennis players have been practicing since March 11th  to prepare for this season.

“I enjoy tennis because it takes my mind off of things and allows me to have fun and be able to spend time with my friends,” said Sarah Cardenas, 11.

The team is led by Coach Mutterspaugh, and the girls are hoping to lead the team to victory this year.

“This tennis season so far is going well. We have won most of our matches and worked together as a team. One thing that has been pretty difficult so far is the wind. It really affects how we hit the tennis ball, but we have been able to adapt well,” said Avery Longman, 10.

This season has brought on 10 new players that are ready to begin playing.

“This is my first year of tennis, and I really like it because it is super fun and chill,” said Beth Ahonen, 11.

This season, however, will be the last high school season for the three seniors: Maia Dufek, Kaleigh Helm, and Maeve Laughlin.

“I have really enjoyed playing MV tennis these past four years and the coaches and players played huge roles,” said Maeve Laughlin, 12. “Although Coach Gabe and I butt heads, I know he is only doing what he believes is my best interest. The team this year came in young and I see so many young leaders. This being my last year of tennis I could not have ask for a better team, a better tennis partner, or better tennis coaches.”

The girls will be competing in seven away matches and twelve home matches over the course of this season.