• Congratulations on Top 5 at Finals, Band of Marauders!

• Make sure to buy tickets for 42nd Street, will be performed 11/15-11/18

The MV Current

The MV Current

The Fruit Chronicles: mango

More stories from Cameron Baker

Mango
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Fruit Chronicles: mango

Mango

An elusive fruit, the mango has been tasted by a select few hundred million people across the globe. The fruit is somewhat difficult to come by and for good reason, too. The mango is simply a bland fruit to eat. With a juicy inside, the complexion of the exterior of the mango is very similar to the peach.  They are a yellow-orange color, and ovular.

Grown mainly in southern India due to its tropical climate, the mango was first discovered by Buddhist monks in modern-day Bhutan in around 4000 B.C. It is considered to be a sacred fruit due to the legend that Buddha himself meditated beneath a mango tree. From there, mango seeds were sold from merchant to merchant and eventually made their way to the Middle East.

“Mangoes are best used in mango salsa,” said Joshua Meenan, 12.  

Thus, mangoes, in many students’ opinions, are often better used in products like salsa or smoothies, rather than eating them on their own.

Overall, I feel very strongly that mangoes are simply a mediocre fruit. I’d give them a six out of ten. The mango is truly not worth the money they are sold for and is certainly not a great fruit to eat by itself.

Katelynn Hexamer, MVC Photographer

Katelynn is a sophomore, and her first year in newspaper. She participates in clubs and theatre at school. She loves to take pictures, do voice lessons,...