IU Red Carpet Day

Susanna Gates, MVC writer and photographs

At a time when big college decisions are constantly in the back of many high schoolers’ minds, colleges are setting up special days and tours for prospective students. Indiana University in Bloomington rolled out the red carpet for their recently admitted students. It was a day for students to tour the IU campus and meet current students and professors. These high schoolers got a taste of what Indiana University is really like.
The day began at eight in the morning. This is when students checked in with their parents. There was a complimentary continental breakfast available. Students received a free IU t-shirt and other informational brochures in the breakfast room.
The official day began at 9:45 a.m. in the Whittenberger Auditorium. Students and parents were welcomed to Red Carpet Day and were given a brief overview of what the day would contain. They were then separated into groups to go on a campus tour. On the tour, parents and students saw recreational gyms, libraries and lecture halls. This was where they were able to see the whole ecosystem of the IU campus.
At 11:15 a.m., the campus tour was concluded, and the groups met back at Whittenberger Auditorium to meet with a panel of experienced IU faculty members, students, and staff. This gave parents and students a chance to ask any questions they may have about IU. The panel was available to answer questions for around an hour.
After the panel concluded, the morning was wrapped up and students and parents were sent out to get lunch. There were many on-campus dining options, such as restaurants and dining halls. This allowed students to eat like IU students.
The rest of the Red Carpet day activities were optional. There were optional academic information sessions for students at two o’clock. These sessions were more personalized and based on the student’s possible majors. Other optional tours and information sessions were offered at 3:30 p.m., but required reservations.
IU hosts this event every year so juniors and sophomores can prepare for it in the future if they plan on attending Indiana University. Days like IU’s Red Carpet Day help high school students take their next step to college and determine which university is right for them.

The welcome table at the IU Red Carpet Day.
A restaurant in one of the dining halls, where IU students can get their meals.
The Whittenberger Auditorium, where speeches and panels were held.
The information booklet, lanyard, and free T-shirt given to students attending Red Carpet Day.