Should Students Learn Cursive?

Yasmin Sustaita, MVC writer

For most people living in the United States, reaching third grade was a milestone; it was the year they were taught cursive. The standard curriculum included it, and so most current teenagers and adults learned both how to read and how to write in cursive during this time. However many schools stopped teaching cursive to most students because of the CCSS (Common Core State Standards) introduction in 2010. 

Since then, cursive writing and reading has become more of something students may learn on their own. It’s become something students do not need to actually learn nor use in class. How could this affect students who have not learned cursive? What difference does it make between the students who have or have not learned?

Well, for the most obvious reason, students who learn cursive, especially early on in third grade, have an easier time creating and using their signature for personal documents. Not only that, but studies have shown that writing in cursive turns on areas of the brain that are not drawn in by just simple typing or tracing the letters/symbols. 

Between students who have learned cursive and students who have not learned cursive, one has more of an advantage. For students who enjoy going all out and being creative, they can use their knowledge of cursive to create pretty cards and or letters to loved ones, while students who love to tap into their creativity but did not learn cursive tend to stick with stylized lettering, like bubble letters, which can leave them with less options than those who know cursive. 

Another difference between students is the ability to read their handwriting. Instead of having teachers or even other students struggle to read their  scratchy handwriting, they will have cursive handwriting to use which, if students know how to read it, will be helpful in deciphering the text. Not only that, but by learning cursive a student will open a door into more literary pieces of writing that may be written exclusively in cursive, such as old letters. Another benefit towards students who learn cursive, according to American History, includes better focus than those who have yet to learn cursive.

In 2017, a handful of schools started to teach cursive once again, as they believe cursive is an essential skill that may help students learn fine motor skills. 

Students who wrote on a whiteboard in a teacher’s classroom voluntarily wrote in cursive.
Students in school today are taught very minimally about cursive handwriting techniques.
The top sentences are written by a student who learned cursive in third grade and does not use cursive anymore. The second half is written by a student who learned to write in cursive and continues to do so to this day.