Joining Yearbook Club

Callie Osburn, MVC writer

High school: hated and loved, is arguably a very important part of young students’ lives. High school shapes students for their future lives. The yearbook staff is tasked with preserving this important part of students’ lives in the shape of a tiny book.

Yearbooks don’t just come together, they need dedicated staff members who want to capture a year’s worth of memories. Olivia Overshiner, 9, is one of those students. She said, “I love the yearbook. I think it’s very fun; I like the people in yearbook, and I made lots of friends.”

Some might be curious about a day’s work in yearbook class. For those wondering what the class entails, Overshiner said, “We have  to take photos for different events, [and] we have to interview people.” She also stated that they have to do, “photos for sports and we have to put the roster photo.”

A day’s work for a yearbook student usually looks like coming in and working on their “spread,” which is how the pages will look in the actual book laid out flat. But the days can look different for everyone depending on the student’s role. One student might get team names and numbers, whereas another might go around to clubs and take photos. 

Students interested in the class may wonder what the yearbook sponsor, Mrs. Terrell, is looking for from members of her team. She said, “I would say that if you have an interest in photography and telling background stories of what goes on in the school year it’s an excellent club to join.” 

Before joining the yearbook it’s important to know that it’s not a club, it’s a class. Students get a grade for yearbook, just like math or English. Yearbook meets in Mrs. Terrel’s class during SRT everyday. Interested students should make sure they are ready to commit to the work and put forth their best effort.

The yearbook club is a club that goes on every day during SRT. They create and design the school’s annual yearbook. The students in the club work together on assignments to complete the yearbook in time for the end-of-the-year sale.
(Addison Stiller)
The club is not all just work, though. People hang out and have fun in the club. Many of the students are friends or have made friends. If someone wants to make new friends, the yearbook club is a good way.
(Addison Stiller)