Students evaluating teachers

Madi Gibson, MVC Writer

Many know about the concept of teacher evaluations. It is a common occurrence that happens in the school environment. It consists of a formal process a school administrator uses to review and note the performance and success a teacher demonstrates in the classroom. But has anyone ever heard of students themselves evaluating their teachers?

The education system is evolving more every year and every year new ways to evaluate teachers are introduced. Educational leaders are also finding more ways to get students involved in the evaluation of their educators. Currently, this is generally only at the collegiate level.

Students being able to evaluate their teachers can be a positive for students. It may help them feel more engaged and important because they believe the administrators care enough to want them involved. The feedback given from students could be crucial to a student’s confidence and involvement. If the student feels involved and welcomed, they are more likely to give proper feedback.

On the other hand, students can be biased. Maybe a student had a run-in with a teacher or they have a bad grade in a class. These situations can lead the student to give the teacher negative feedback. 

Before students evaluate teachers, they should be trained. There would need to be clear questions and goals students have to provide information about it. The feedback should be used to help teachers grow and better understand their students. This process gives feedback to be more effective for the teachers. Not that administrators should not be involved in the assessment, but students should be added to the mix to get multiple perspectives on education.