SATs Coming to MVHS

Isabelle Hernandez, MVC Writer/Photographer

The SAT test is a globally-accepted college admissions test. Previously, it was mainly taken by juniors and seniors planning to pursue their education further at a college. It was designed to show how much an individual student knows and rates their knowledge with an overall score ranging from 400 to 1600. There is a reading/writing portion and a math section, each of which can range from 200-800 points. 

Starting this year, Mt. Vernon High school will be requiring students to take the SAT as their graduation qualifying exam. It will replace the ISTEP+.

According to the College Board, during the 2021-2022 school year, the SATs required a payment of $55.00. 

Mt. Vernon administering the SATs for free is a plus side for college-bound juniors. A possible downside to taking the test is that many students that are not preparing for college or not planning on applying for colleges that require an SAT score. 

According to FairTest, SAT scores are not required on college applications for about 80% of United States colleges. 

MVHS will be conducting required SAT testing for all juniors on Wednesday, March 2, 2022. Juniors’ first block teachers handed out SAT prep test booklets to help prepare students and give them a little advice on what to expect.