How to Help Families in Need During the Holidays

Makayla Faulk, MVC Writer/Photographer

During the holiday season, many families struggle to make ends meet, let alone provide presents and other luxury items. Oftentimes, these families need help and luckily there are many resources available to help them that are volunteer-sponsored. This is a great opportunity for those wanting to help those in need, especially during the holiday season.

Front of the Kenneth Butler Memorial Soup Kitchen building. (Makayla Faulk)

One way to help people this holiday season is to volunteer at food pantries and soup kitchens. No matter the time of year, people have to eat, so this is a great opportunity to help out. Some local options are the Kenneth Butler Memorial Soup Kitchen, the Gleaners Food Pantry, and the Sharing Place. This will help feed those in need during the holidays and beyond.

Another way to help is to volunteer at shelters. This could include many different jobs like cleaning or simply donating things in need. There are many shelters in Indianapolis that welcome as many volunteers as they can get. Some places in need include Wheeler Mission, The Hope House, and Third Phase. Many shelters also have thrift stores attached to them where students can work to volunteer. Everything these stores sell are donated from people, organizations, and companies in the community.

Front of the Hope House building in Greenfield. (Makayla Faulk)

In addition, another option is working with organizations such as The Lions Club, and The Kiwanis. Groups like these often have opportunities to help foster children, families, and children in need. There are many other diverse options to help during the holidays.

The holidays are often a tough time for people and one way to make it easier is to volunteer in your community and beyond. Doing community service builds character and promotes unity. It just takes one person to make a difference in so many people’s lives.