What I Want To Be When I Grow Up

Madi Gibson, MVC Writer

As a little girl I always had the abstract desire to be a realtor. My mom would take me to the Indianapolis Dream Home and I was fascinated. I told my family and friends that I wanted to work with houses and show them to people. 

As I got older, I realized my real estate interest was more the design of the home than the actual selling aspect. Interior design was more for me and gave me an exciting feeling for the future. Through a friend, I met with an interior designer who ran her own company, which was exactly what I was looking for. She took me to a tile store and allowed me to pick out the product for her current client.

We then went to a local coffee shop to discuss some ideas I had of my own. I designed and decorated a room for some helpful feedback and was ecstatic that I got that wonderful opportunity. 

From there, I looked up different colleges that offer a business and an interior design degree. The three that peaked my interest the most are the University of Tennessee, University of Cincinnati and Butler University. I would like to stay in the Midwest closer to home rather than go across the country. The University of Cincinnati has a really good interior design program. On the other hand, Butler University has an incredible business program. The University of Tennessee grabbed my attention because I love the state of Tennessee, especially Knoxville, where the campus is located. I plan on studying for a business major and a minor in interior design. That gives me the balance and opportunities to get a good career in business if interior design does not work out. 

I still love the idea of real estate so I would like to get my real estate license after college as another backup or second career.