A List of Online Student Resources

Hannah Elstro, MVC Writer/Photographer

We have all been in a place where we needed homework help, but were not able to ask a teacher or parent. Looking online for a resource that actually works can be difficult and time consuming, and yet, they still only leave people feeling disappointed and no closer to knowing what to do to solve 13x+19=238. Well, never fear, this list blends technology and homework help for all of the subjects students struggle with.

Word Hippo, a versatile website, can help with any word-related needs. Its expansive library includes synonyms, antonyms, definitions, rhymes, sentences, translations, word forms, and even pronunciations for each word in its catalogue. This website is great for anyone who wants to earn some extra points on an essay by spicing up their word choice.

Another essay tool, Hemingway Editor, has helped me more times than I can count. With a clear and easy-to-follow format, along with an example of how it works, it helps eliminate wordy sentences, unnecessary filler words, and even helps identify passive voice. A word of warning, though, it flags any long sentences as confusing, even if they might be easy to follow for a human reader, so make sure to not just blindly follow its advice. 

With a range of help and free resources, Bartleby can help with practically anything. “Write +” on the top can check essays for plagiarism, word choice, and grammar. Or, if students need help with anything else, just click on the “learn +,” select a subject, and search any equation, question, or keyword to get a step-by-step breakdown of how to do whatever it is you need to do. 

Here with a comprehensive list of subjects to search: SOS Math. Just click on a subject then search their database for whatever is needed within that subject. Once it has been found, click it, and a guide on how to solve those equations will pop up. SOS Math is perfect for remembering previously-taught information or seeing another way to solve any equation.

Word Reference is an amazing resource for any student taking any world language class. Just click on whatever language is needed, and search for any word. It gives a definition of the word in the chosen language and then its translation, making sure people don’t accidentally use the wrong word for what they want to say. Great for learning new vocabulary and thousands of times better than Google Translate.

Cappex is amazing for scholarships, giving a comprehensive list, all the requirements for the scholarships, and letting students keep track of all the scholarships they could want. This is a must-have for anyone hoping to save themselves from some debt or anyone wanting to explore colleges and majors.

Niche is a website made by students, for students. Just search a potential college, look through the grades offered for each category (campus, diversity, athletics, academics, etc.), and scroll to the bottom to see comments left by students attending or who attended. Between all that are categories like “will you get in,” “scholarships,” “majors,” “students,” “after college,” and more. This is a great resource to see if a college is really the one for you.

And there are even a few online websites helpful for life outside school. For example, having anxiety about an upcoming permit or license test? See if you are prepared to pass with the DMV’s practice tests. Just click get started, choose the state you live in, and you’re all set to. Or, if anyone is hoping to learn a new world language or study more about a STEM field, edX is the place to go. With over 2,000 free courses all available at a click, edX is great for those wanting to hone their skills or learn new ones.

So the next time you can’t solve that problem or need to make your essay grammatically correct, turn to one of these websites to help improve both your grades and your skills.