Anastasia Auditions

Madalyn Cottrell, MVCurrent Writer

Back in May of 2020, it was announced that Mt. Vernon High School was going to be one of the first schools to perform “Anastasia.” The show closed on Broadway in 2019, and due to COVID-19, the recent tour was forced to shut down as well. 

Anastasia is inspired by the 1997 animated movie and is a reimagined production featuring the original songs, characters, and plot elements from the movie. Christy Altomare, the original “Anya,”  has stated that Anastasia is like a more realistic version of the movie. The characters have rawer personalities. 

“Anya is someone who is full of spirit and courage. She is a fighter,” said Natalie Marchal, 10. “I could not be more excited to bring this character to life.”

Auditions for the spring musical were held on January 7th and 8th. Due to the pandemic, the audition process was modified. Students remained socially distanced, and masks were worn at all times. Things were different during Singin´ in the Rain. Due to the pandemic, auditions were restricted from being held in person. Students submitted their auditions virtually, and callbacks were held on Zoom.  Many students were thankful to have the opportunity to audition in person, though some had the option to audition virtually if they were quarantined. 

The cast of Anastasia is excited to get to work. Their virtual fundraiser recently kicked off, and the cast and crew have already raised several thousand dollars through the donations of their supporters. Vocal and dance rehearsals have started in preparation for the performance in April. Production is a collaborative process, and the tech crew has even started designing the sets. 

The show is set to perform April 15th through the 18th, Tickets are not on sale yet, so make sure to follow @mvtheatre on Facebook and Instagram for updates.