States Reopening

Cade Clark, Staff Writer

Despite the rising number of coronavirus cases, some states are starting to open back up. Georgia, South Carolina, Oklahoma, and Alaska are the states as of right now that have opened back up.

In Georgia, Governor Brian Kemp has opened places such as hair and nail salons, gyms, and tattoo parlors. Then on April 27, he plans to open dine-in restaurants and movie theaters. Although with all these openings come with strict requirements such as screening for workers with fevers. Gov. Kemp said it will not be “business as usual.”

“I worry that Kemp is viewing this as a financial crisis instead of a health crisis,¨ said Dr. Nancee Reeves, a professor of literature at the University of Georgia in Athens. ¨Because of this, he is willing to let people become sick and even die if it means Georgia can financially recover sooner. Yes, the financial repercussions will be severe, but putting people’s lives in danger in not the answer. Instead, I support loan and mortgage/rent forgiveness, free health care, and more stimulus money. I will be taking the advice of health-care professionals and continue to shelter in place.”

Oklahoma not only opened salons and barbers, but also pet groomers. Oklahoma though, never actually had statewide stay-at-home orders, and they have plans to have most businesses opened by May 1st.

Alaska started partial reopening along with Georgia and Oklahoma, but with strict restrictions. According to the New York Times, “restaurants can take reservations only — not walk-ins — and can seat up to 25 percent capacity.”

South Carolina being one of the last to issue stay-at-home orders, who made their orders April 6th, is now also one of the first to start reopening. They are starting with retail stores, however, those stores may only have 20% of the building capacity in the store at any time.

A long list of states stay-at-home orders expire within the next week, including Indiana, meaning there will be a lot of changes coming soon, and a lot of people including state and national health officials disagree with the decisions being made to reopen things.