Circles By Mac Miller

Gabe Thomas, Staff Writer

On September 7, 2018 famous musician Mac Miller passed away due to a drug overdose. His fans and the music community were shocked and devastated. Over a year after his death, it was revealed Mac had planned to release a follow up to 2018’s “Swimming,” titled “Circles” and that it was in the process of being finished when he died. With producer Jon Brion, the album was finished, and in early 2020 was released.

The album feels like an incredible epilogue to Mac’s life with most tracks talking about his struggle with the addiction that took his life. One of the standout tracks is the third track “Blue World.” This song has an incredible instrumental sampling The Four Freshmans 1950 hit “It’s a Blue world.” The song details the ups and downs of life and him reflecting on everything he has.

The best song on the album is the lead single “Good News.” This song made me cry the first time I listened to it with lyrics such as “So tired of being so tired, why I gotta build something beautiful just to go set it on fire” and a 3rd verse that will make any Mac fan cry as he talks about how he wonders if death feels like summertime and repeating the phrase “There’s a whole lot more for me waiting.” This song makes it feel like he knew what the addiction was doing to him and it’s even more heartbreaking knowing he didn’t beat it.

MVHS Student Aiden Carver,11, said; “This is a beautiful album.”

Overall this is one of the best albums of the last two years and one of very few that have actually brought tears to my eyes. So, Mac might be gone, but his music never will be, and with this album, we can sleep peacefully knowing Mac released his best work as his last.

Overall:10/10