The Band of Marauders State Finals

Piper Todd

Starting off great

Madalyn Cottrell, Staff Writer

On October 26th, 2019, the Band of Marauders traveled to Lawrence Central  High School where they competed in ISSMA Scholastic Finals. Due to the rain and high winds, the competition was pushed inside; however, that did not stop them from making history. 

“I am so incredibly proud of these kids’ flexibility and their ability to stay focuses on Saturday,” said Ms. Nason, the Director of Bands. “They faced the conditions out of their control with patience and great attitudes. I could tell they were going to be on fire the minute we started warm-up.” 

The Band of Marauders did well last year during their 2018 program “Mirage,” but their 2019 season with their program “Wheel’d” proved to be their most successful yet. The band claimed many victories this season, and never saw anything below 3rd place. 

The Band of Marauders lost by a few points to Lafayette-Jefferson, but earned their highest placement ever in the history of Mt. Vernon’s band program. They placed second out of nineteen bands. Although they were points away from first place, the band went home with pride. 

“These students have been some of the most consistent students I have ever worked with,” said Ms. Nason. “They never had and off week and kept pushing with every performance. We accomplished many great things and I am excited for what the future has in store.” 

Ethan Cottrell, the former assistant drum major, leads the marching band in their next season. They have left behind a legacy with their most successful season yet, and are ready to face whatever the next season may bring. 

“This has been a dope season,” said Ethan Cottrell, 11. “I am definitely ready for next year.”