Dreams come true for MV choirs

More stories from Joan Lee

DIY muscle tee
May 13, 2019

Over spring break, Mt. Vernon High School choirs, Chamber Singers and Women’s Choir, went to Disney World.

MV choirs left on March 13 and returned home on March 18. The students enjoyed their time at all the Disney parks and Universal Studios.

During the trip, the choirs participated in “Disney Sings” Workshop. At the workshop, they recorded an excerpt from a Disney animated feature film’s soundtrack and learned audition skills and vocal techniques from a professional Disney vocalist.

“The trip was a lifetime experience and a lot of fun,” said Kynsey Hancock, 11. “The workshop was interesting. My favorite park was probably Universal Studios because there was a lot of stuff to do. I rode a lot of rides I did not like riding, but I enjoyed the Hulk a lot.”

The choirs also performed at Festival Disney, where Chamber Singers received a score of Superior and Women’s Chorus earned a score of Excellent.

It was great to receive feedback from judges outside our area, and find new ways to improve upon what we are already doing,” said Ms. Anderson. “Our ‘Disney Sings!’ Workshop was a lot of fun as well, and students got the opportunity to learn what it would be like to work and perform at Disney World. It was a great trip.”

The choirs participated in Festival Disney Awards Ceremony at Typhoon Lagoon. The students enjoyed the rides and dance party at Typhoon Lagoon.

In contrast to the band Disney trip, the choirs enjoyed a day at Universal Studios before returning to MV.

“I thought that the trip was great,” said Ava Hampton, 12. “This trip was my first time going to Disney and Universal, and I was happy that I got to go with my friends. I think there was so much going on throughout the trip that, by the end, people were extremely tired. I think the trip was great overall, and I would love to go to Disney again.”

This trip was an unforgettable experience for the students, staff, and chaperones.