Black Student Union

Emme Longman

Gathering of Black Student Union

Emme Longman, MVC Editor in Chief

On Friday, January 25, the first meeting for the Mt. Vernon Black Student Union, or BSU, took place in the auditorium. This was the first time the school has ever had a club to represent all minorities at Mt. Vernon.

The group is not just for African-American students, but for all students at Mt. Vernon. BSU’s mission is to make a difference in the community by having many community service opportunities and spreading knowledge about minority groups at Mt. Vernon.

“This club is here to empower every minority here at Mt. Vernon,” said Trey Gibson, 11. “It is not just for African-American people. We are about empowering and building up our status. We strive for greatness, and we will do what we have to do to make it through high school.”

The mission statement of the group is to be a social club specifically designed to advocate around issues that are important to black students at Mt. Vernon High School. The goal is to educate all students on black culture and other minority cultures. The club also plans to become a support network that will result in higher academic achievement, increased positive behavior, and a greater level of civic responsibility on the part of the black students at Mt. Vernon.

The officers of the group are Trey Gibson, President; Kaysha Gillard, Vice President; Sam Robert-Eze, director of events; Ashland Mack, treasurer; and Madison King, secretary. The faculty sponsors of the club are Mrs. Weaver-Miller and Mr. Larkins.

“This club is very important to us,” said Kaysha Gillard, 12. “We want people to feel welcome and  take this club seriously. We are going to show Mt. Vernon that we are here.”

The Black Student Union is already planning on several events to help promote the club.

“We have been working on doing a poetry slam,” said Sam Robert-Eze, 11. “We might be able to do an international day where different cultures and countries are represented. We would also like to do community service days.”

Having teacher support for the club added another supportive element.

“This club is an opportunity to talk amongst ourselves on how to overcome struggles,” said Mrs. Weaver-Miller. “The struggles that you go through may be different than others, and this is a safe place to come to.”

Mr. Larkins, the other sponsor of the club, really believes Mt. Vernon needs a Black Student Union. He even created one when he was in high school.

“We have a purpose, a goal, and a mission,” said Mr. Larkins. “It does not matter what color you are. You could be a part of something special.”

The Black Student Union is a new club at Mt. Vernon here to represent all minorities.