Basketball Cheer

Clare Bielefeld

Varsity cheer stands on the sideline watching the boys

Emme Longman, MVC Editor and Chief

The cheerleaders started their basketball cheer season on the first boys’ basketball game. Cheerleaders perform at the basketball games for both the girls’ and boys’ team. The girls cheer on the sidelines of the basketball court, and get the crowd excited for the game.

I enjoy basketball cheer because I get to spend time with my friends while cheering on the Marauders,” said Hadley Graham, 11.

In most events, the Marauder Mob attends and works with the cheerleaders to help people enjoy the game.

“I enjoy basketball cheer because of how close you get to be to the game and how much the Marauder Mob gets involved,” said Lillian Smith, 12.

The cheerleaders perform stunts, pyramids, and cheers to get the crowd.

“Basketball cheer is about cheering on the boys’ and girls’ teams, and most importantly having fun,” said Shelby Morgan, 12. “Our job is to stand on the side and get the crowd hyped up and to cheer on our players. I really enjoy that it is not as stressful as football and competition season and that it is our time to have more fun. I love how much we get to interact with the student section during basketball cheer.”

Basketball cheer is more convenient than football cheer for most, because it does not require the high level of gymnastics like football cheerleading does. Many people who are new to the activity try out for basketball cheer, and find it much easier.

“Basketball cheer is the perfect time for people to give cheer a try because there are very little requirements. I recommend that everyone tries out who has ever thought about doing cheer,” said Hadley Graham, 11.

While there are not stunts that basketball cheer requires the students to do, experience helps when it comes to making the team.

“There are not many requirement for basketball cheer; it is more about the experience and being able to lead the crowd,” said Laurel Andrews, 12.

Many of the past cheerleaders are encouraging to newcomers, and inspire new people to enter the program.

“I really encourage people to get involved in the cheer program and basketball is a good place to start because there are no requirements,” said Lillian Smith, 12.

Basketball cheer is a good sport for many who do not have experience with cheerleading, and the members enjoy being a part of the team and pumping up the crowd.