Band Competition at Greenwood

Piper Todd, MVC Writer and Photographer

Band of Marauders strikes again!

The Mount Vernon Band of Marauders competed at the Greenwood Invitational on Saturday, September 22. After working hard for four hours at MVHS, the band traveled to Greenwood Community High Schools.

After the performance, the band patiently sat in the stands for their placement to be announced. Meanwhile, the group watched numerous bands in class Open A and B perform. Awards followed soon after the last group performed. Out of four groups in class Open B, the band took home a participation award, meaning they did not place in the top three.

Ms. Nason, director, said, “On Saturday, the band made huge strides towards performing a completed program. There were some timing issues that took place during the first part of the show, but the kids were able to recover very well. The last two portions of the show were very strong.”

Ms. Nason replaced former director, Mr. Ellinger.

She also stated, “The performance showed the students some areas where there needs to be improvement. Since the last two sections of the show are strong, it will be exciting to watch as we continue to rise to the challenge presented by the first portion of the show. I’m really excited to see where the next few weeks take the band.

Will Farrell, 11 and center snare, said, ”Overall, this past weekend, was, out of the three competitions we have been to, the worst display of our program. Greenwood was a tight venue and there was barely enough space for our equipment. Overall, the warm-ups, both visual and musical, were well-connected member to member. As I looked around at my bandmates, I realized something was different. Everyone was too relaxed, and there wasn’t the usual ‘oh my gosh’ vibe coming from the group.”

He also said, “We marched onto the turf, and set up for pre show, which went really well. As the show began, we moved well through the pre show. However, as soon as we took the first REAL step of our show, everything began to crumble. For a band to be successful, everyone needs to think the same way, move the same way, and play the same way. Everyone interpreted time differently, was uncomfortable, and nervous, which not only affected their playing, but their technique too. After P.1, the show began to settle, but it was too late. The damage had been done. The first impression had been given. and the Mount Vernon High School Marching Band of Marauders was destined for last.”

The band competes Saturday, October 20th at Lawrence Central High School for state finals.

Piper Todd

Piper Todd

Piper Todd

Piper Todd

Piper Todd

Piper Todd