Tips for midterms

More stories from Abby Cook

Sports for the next week
December 22, 2018
Upcoming events
December 3, 2018
Sports for the week
November 20, 2018

As the first quarter winds down, many students struggle with studying for midterms and getting their grades up, specifically lower classmen who have not experienced midterm week and do not have many methods to prepare themselves.

Studying for midterms is very important, as they count for 20% of the grade for that class. It is important to construct study time in these last couple weeks to get ready for them.

It is crucial to not cram for any class, as it has been proven that studying over a course time is better studying for three hours straight. Staying up all night to study will just cause tiredness and stress the next morning.

Also, taking breaks while studying is important, as it gives the brain a rest. It is hard to keep repeatedly studying when a student is overwhelmed or fatigued. Not allowing for a break may cause feelings of being overwhelmed and stressed.

Resting during midterms week is important. Lack of sleep hurts alertness and the ability to study efficiently.

Another important thing to know is that getting help is important if you are lost on a particular subject. Spending extra time on a subject may help you understand something better, rather than trying to figure something out all by yourself.

“Studying at least a week before will help so much better than just studying the night before,” said Lillian Smith, 12.

Another key to being successful during midterms is to not freak out. This may be 20% of a student’s overall grade, but this is what teachers have been preparing everyone for, there are study guides and teachers to help students know what to expect.

Remember to plan ahead, get plenty of sleep, and keep calm because midterms are not that bad if you plan accordingly.