MV explores the UK

VISITING Stonehenge the day before the summer solstice was a highlight for many people on the trip

Abby Cook, Staff Writer

To kick off summer break a group of 18 students from Mt. Vernon High School flew across the pond to visit England and Scotland. Students said goodbye to school, parents, and America and headed on a five and a half hour flight overseas.

The group spent a total of 7 days exploring places like Edinburgh and London. Two Mt.Vernon teachers went along with the group of teens while they explored new lands. Mrs.Schiller and Mrs.Stindle, English teachers, chaperoned the group.

Mrs. Stindle said, “I was really excited to see the kids immerse themselves into new cultures. I think doing that is important.”

Many travelers loved trying new teas, sightseeing, and shopping. In Scotland the group walked around the booming city of Edinburgh, and later went to Edinburgh Castle. The group explored underground Edinburgh, and learned about the poor who used to live there. Although the group was on a fun trip, there were also many opportunities to learn about history along the way.

students sitting on the stairs in Oxford which were used to shoot a Harry Potter film
OXFORD University was a film site for the Harry Potter movies.

Besides history, there were other things the group got to experience. For example, Harry Potter was a recurring part of the tour. The group traveled to the most haunted graveyard in the world- Greyfriars Kirkyard. This graveyard is where Rowling got her inspiration for the names of her characters in the book. They walked to the Elephant House Cafe where J.K Rowling wrote her books.The students also traveled to Oxford University to witness the inspiration and film sets for the Harry Potter movies.

On the way to London the teens made stops to interesting places such as Warwick Castle and York Minster. They  also took time visiting Shakespeare’s birthplace and Anne Hathaway’s cottage.

aerial view of part of Warwick Castle in England
WARWICK Castle offered breathtaking views for students

In London, the group took tours around the city seeing important landmarks such as the London Eye. At night, the group split up and either took a Harry Potter Tour, or a Jack the Ripper Tour.

Cleo Mills said that the tour was, “very interesting, but also disturbing, a good mix when talking about a serial killer. The tour guide made it super fun.”

The activities planned in London fit every individuals needs, and there was even time for gift shopping.

Although the group was worn out by the time they returned home, they came back with a newly discovered energy to keep exploring.

Group photo of students in front of Buckingham Palace
STUDENTS got to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.