AP prep and stress

More stories from Emme Longman

Beware: AP tests are coming soon.

When AP tests are around the corner, many students get very stressed and start preparing in a variety of ways.

“We do a lot of preparation for AP test in class,” said Emily Thomas, 11. “Especially in my AP Lit class, we do a lot of review.”

Advanced students also believe in the art of “winging it.”

“I have prepared nothing,” said Bailey Hodgin, 11. “I have the 5 steps to a 5 [review book], but I haven’t done any of it.”

Most AP teachers also have study sessions that can be used to review for the test.

“For me, I do the study sessions for my student’s scores,” said Mrs.Terrell. “When I push them to come to the sessions, the scores went from a 70% to a 90% passing rate. That’s a huge jump, I mean, that’s almost everybody.”

The study sessions can be very helpful, because they review all of the material learned throughout the year.

“There is just so much material, and people forget. It is nice to get a review,” said Mrs.Terrell.

Students studying for AP exams.

Study sessions can be hard for students to attend because they are so early in the morning.

“I have done nothing so far,” said Abi Dostalek, 11. “I haven’t even been to study sessions.”

Some students are very dedicated to their classes, and review a lot on their own time to do the best they can on the AP test.

“I spend a half-hour to hour on each of my three subjects every night,” said Keian Gatewood, 11. “I just go through the review books. Then, once I get all of the strategies and memorization down, I take practice tests and some more practice tests and some more practice tests.”

All students have a different method of studying for AP tests, whether it be deeply review every night or not reviewing at all.

“Why take an AP if you’re not going to try to pass it? It is important to attend because students spend so much time and energy preparing, why waste it on things you’ve just forgotten?” said Mrs.Terrell.

Study sessions are a helpful way to review for the AP test, and can benefit anyone who makes the time to go.