MSD spirit day

More stories from Carly McWilliams

Oil Diffusers
May 18, 2018
Melodrama World Tour
April 16, 2018

Jennifer McGowen

Empty hallway at MVHS

On April 20, Mt. Vernon High School will honor the lives of the Parkland school shooting victims through a schoolwide spirit day.

MV students who wish to participate and show their support are to wear crimson and silver to school. These are the school colors of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where 17 lives were lost on February 14, 2018.

April 20 is also the day of the National School Walkout, during which students across the country will walk out of their classes at 10 A.M. in support of stricter gun control policies in the United States. However, this spirit day is not connected to the walkout, nor is it meant to promote walking out of class.

This spirit day was created and organized by MV senior Alexis Franklin, who sees the day as an alternative to taking place in a walkout.

Alexis Franklin got the spirit day approved for administration
Jennifer McGowen

“I feel like students at MV should try to be a part of things going on outside of our school,” said Franklin, 12.

By participating in the spirit day, Franklin said that “students can be a part of the movement without putting academic status or education in jeopardy, or receiving the consequences of walking out.”

While administrators will not place special punishments on students that walk out of their classes, they can assign the established punishment for any unexcused absence, since students will be missing parts of class.

The yearbook staff will be taking a group photo of all of the students who participate in the spirit day to send to the students and staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Franklin said she also plans to get in contact with other schools around MV to share her idea.