Melodrama World Tour

Carly McWilliams, MVC Features Editor

On March 1, 2018, the Grammy award-winning pop artist Lorde set out on the North American leg of her Melodrama World Tour. While Lorde did not make a stop in Indiana during this tour, I attended her show in Columbus, Ohio, on March 31.

As an avid listener of Lorde’s music, especially her most recent album “Melodrama,” I had high hopes for her setlist at the concert. She more than exceeded my expectations by playing every single song from “Melodrama,” as well as one new unreleased song, “Precious Metals.”

For the longtime fans, Lorde included a segment dedicated to songs from her first album, “Pure Heroine.” In the middle of the concert, she performed the songs “Buzzcut Season,” “400 Lux,” and “Ribs” back to back. A performance of “Royals,” the single that shot her to fame back in 2013, came just before the end of the concert.

“Green Light,” the first single released from “Melodrama” last March, was one of the most anticipated performances of the night. The dance-pop anthem was accompanied by a giant showering of confetti to cap off the night. To make the moment even more special, Lorde made sure that even her confetti portrayed her own unique style. Each star-shaped piece had a tiny design on each side, as well as a lyric from “Melodrama.” Fans rushed to the arena floor after her final performance to scoop it up in the handfuls, myself included.

Lorde’s artistry in both music and visual arts was very apparent in this show. The lighting never distracted from the music and performance, but actually added to each song. Fog machines, rich colors, and video backdrops combined throughout the show to create a mesmerizing visual experience. The dancers were another aspect of the show that impressed me, as they performed inside a rectangular box that was tilted back and forth and lifted off the ground during certain songs.

While the music is initially what drew me to love Lorde as an artist, attending this concert gave me even more respect and admiration for her as a person. There were moments between songs during which Lorde would stand in the middle of the stage and ask the audience about their love lives, about college food, and even about special traditions that Columbus is known for.

As a nod to the nearby Ohio State University campus, she shouted “O-H” to the crowd, which was met with a very enthusiastic “I-O” from college kids and sports fans alike. Lorde continued this running joke throughout the night, even adding it into the end of a cover performance of Frank Ocean’s “Solo.” Even as a born and bred Hoosier, I resonated with the sentiment of the chant and caught on the last few times.

From the music to the atmosphere to the quirky comments made by Lorde herself, everything about this concert made it one of the best shows I have ever attended. The experience of seeing such a genuine and talented artist in person has already impacted me in major ways, and I will always look back on this show with the fondest of memories.