Freshmen find their fins in ‘The Little Mermaid’

Lauren Pilkington, 12, with Ava Lusby, 6, as Flounder.

Maggie Brown, MVC Editor in Chief

The freshman class is full of fresh new talent, and some of those involved in “The Little Mermaid” shared what it was like to be part of a production here.

Katelyn Hexamer is a freshman with a dance background whose performance in “The Little Mermaid” will be her first at MV. She said that she expected good things, and “so far, my experience has been really great and fun. I’ve made so many new friends. I’ve always had a love for theatre, and I finally made the decision to try out. I think I’ll keep doing shows here, because I love being with all my friends, and I have the passion for theater.”

Liam Bass, a freshman who was on the fence about auditioning for “The Little Mermaid,” decided to do so after watching “Thoroughly Modern Millie” last fall. He will play Chef Louis, and said that, “My experience thus far has been such a great one. I have met and grown close to such amazing people and grown closer with people I already knew. I expected for it to be difficult, even more than it is. I can sing and I can dance but doing both of them together is harder than it looks.”

“I will definitely be doing more shows in future.” Bass adds,  “I’m excited to meet more people and so far it’s one of the best experiences I’ve ever had.”

Dancers rehearse choreography under the lights on stage.
All members of the cast are putting in hard work for the musical.

Madisen Carns, 9, will play Flotsam in her first MV theatre production, and is doing the show “to participate in something after school, and I hope that I will make more friends and be more outgoing with this experience.”

“I think that I will keep doing shows in the future because the cast is like a family to me and I want to spend more time with them and keep participating in all of the performances,” said Carns.

The theater department is a very special place. It provides love, acceptance, and a community to people who have a hard time finding it anywhere else. The community of theater is open to anyone, and if anyone has the opportunity to audition for a show at Mount Vernon, they should do so.