Eighth grade is making an exit

Sydney Blankenship, Staff Writer

Next year, the eighth graders will no longer be at the high school. Instead, they will be moving back into the middle school.

The eighth graders first moved to the high school over six years ago. It was supposed to be a temporary move but ended up lasting for multiple years. The eighth graders coming to the high school was a big change.

“The transition of the 8th graders to our building went very well,” Mr. Roach said. “We had some parents of eighth graders who were concerned about the age gap between their students and high school seniors but their fears were eased when we explained how the passing periods would different for the most part and [that] there would be very little interaction between high school and 8th grade students.”

Additions are being built at the middle school to accommodate for the increase in student admissions. When the eighth graders leave the high school, adjustments will have to be made to the high school as well.

“We will be able to move teachers around so that our departments are grouped together, particularly our World Language department,” Mr Roach said. “We will have additional classrooms to expand our program offerings which will benefit students.’

The 2017-2018 will be the last year the eighth graders will attend the high school.