Lydia’s legacy

Carly McWilliams, Features Editor

The MV swim program has led multiple swimmers to compete at sectional and state competitions, but throughout all of the past four years, one competitor has stayed consistent: Lydia Tierney. Tierney never faltered in her continued qualifications for state finals, making a name for Mt. Vernon and herself in the competitive swimming world.

To make it to state, a swimmer must win in their respective events at sectionals, a feat which Tierney has accomplished time and time again in the 100 Butterfly and 200 Individual Medley events. Her wins add up to a career of eight individual state qualifications, an incredible legacy to leave behind as a senior.
While her success during the swim season has proved to be the norm for Tierney, her performance this year managed to top every past season in her history. Instead of focusing solely on improving her times this season, Tierney said that she put her energy into “preparing and training for sectionals and state.”

On February 3, 2018, her hard work paid off with victories in each of her events and another state competition to face.

While competing at state is “very stressful” according to Tierney, her performance placed her in the top 16, which then qualified her for Finals the next Saturday. The end result of this competition was record-breaking for Tierney’s career: she placed 11th in the 200 Individual Medley, the highest placement she has ever received at a high school state competition.

While this did mark the end of high school swimming for Tierney, she went out on a very high note.
“I’m a little sad that it is all over because I have had a lot of good memories in the past 4 years with the people on the team,” Tierney said, “but I am also excited to move on to bigger and greater things.”