The MV dance team makes moves

Nyjia Thompson

The MV Dance team’s professionally taken photo

Emma Chifton, MVC Writer

The Mt. Vernon dance team Gold Intensity took to the stage on January 27th for their home exhibition. On their faces were smiles, unhindered by the ferocity of competition, but excited about upcoming scores. Not many students know the dance etiquette for home competitions-not many students are even aware of how many hours the team puts into practicing and competing. The desire for top placement was behind them as they performed for other competitors instead of against. This is called an exhibition.

“You don’t get placed at your own competition,” said Gabrielle Warner, 12, “Actually, it’s more of a showing-off of sorts-for points. It’s the away meets that really count. Over 20 schools perform.”

The meets can last several hours, most are from 8:00am-3:00pm, with very few breaks and the hours are jam packed with watching, performing, and practicing.

The Mt. Vernon team compete with three different styles: pom, hip-hop, and jazz routines that can take several months to perfect but are performed in less than five minutes. The competition is tough, but Gold Intensity has made it to state for several years and hold true to their history of working hard and looking good while doing it.

“It’s a fun extracurricular with the same intensity as a sport,” Samantha Henderson, 11, said about how the grueling dance schedule coincides with an already intense school-work load. “It’s worth letting loose.”

And indeed it is. Even with practiced routines, the dancing is a good workout and a fun time to be around people with the same interests as you.

Regionals are March 3, which leaves only a short time to prepare  to prepare for some dancers’ last year on the team and last time competing in a high school setting. It’s a strenuous time for many of the team, but also an exciting and fun-filled opportunity.

The dance team girls huddle around with their trophies in hand.
Nyjia Thompson
The dance team poses excitedly with their trophies.