How to study for finals

More stories from Emme Longman

Finals are coming up soon, and students have all different kinds of studying methods.

Personally, I do not really study that much. I usually try to study the week of finals, and that gets me through just fine. I go back and review my notes for a history final, and I do some practice math problems in math. In English and physics, I just review my notes a little.

When it comes to finals, students and teachers have very differing opinions on how to study for finals.

“Personally, I do not really study,” said Kenneth Cox, 11. “It depends on the class; I might look into my notebooks a little bit. The only class that I’ve ever really needed to study for is calculus.”

Many students, on the other hand, start preparing for finals early.

“I make lots of quizlets,” said Madison Smith, 12. “I also like to make study guides for all my classes.”

Some students prepare to make more handwritten notes and study those.

“I compile a list of handwritten notes throughout the semester,” said Elizabeth Miller, 12.

Many of the teachers believe that studying for finals is very important and should be done efficiently.

“For my class, you need to do a lot of practice problems,” said Ms. Clark, the ACP Calculus teacher. “If you are pretty good at your subject, then you only really need to study the night before.

“I am only a math teacher, but I think for subjects like social studies you need to read your notes and outlines. For subjects like science, you need to do some practice problems and review notes. Only do what you need to, though.”

Some teachers have opinions on the way that students should study.

“The way to study for my class is to start broad, and go smaller,” said Mr. Guthrie, the APUSH teacher. “That’s the way that you should study for the AP test, and so that is how you should study for all of my tests.”

Many students do not review the amount that they should, and they end up being really stressed.

“I usually just cry inside during finals,” said Ryan Strantz, 11.

Some tips on studying are rewriting your notes, especially in blue pen. The Fountain Pen Network suggests that writing in blue pen helps you remember your notes more than pencil.

Another tip is to look up Youtube videos over your subject, so that you can learn and understand just a little bit more. That has always helped me get a little more information or a clearer understanding of what I looked up.

Remember to start early, finals sneak up on you.