Dua Lipa

Carly McWilliams, MVC Features Editor

Recently, the MV Current was sent promotional materials for Dua Lipa’s latest album. These items included posters and bookmarks with the tracklist of the album, as well as lyrics from Lipa’s hit song “New Rules.”

I am very familiar with Dua Lipa, especially her single “New Rules,” as it was frequently played on my summer Spotify playlist. The upbeat vibe to the song, as well as its confident and empowering lyrics, make for a great soundtrack to sunny, carefree summer days.

Although the current winter temperatures are a little less inviting to car rides with the windows down, I can confirm that “New Rules” is just as fun to dance to in any weather. The infectious beat of the song, as well as the powerful 3-step mantra Lipa repeats in each chorus, is enough to make one forget about every boy who has ever wronged them.

While “New Rules” is Lipa’s most popular song, as well as her first #1 single, her entire self-titled album is filled with vibrant tunes of a similar caliber. “Blow Your Mind (Mwah)” and “Dreams” from the deluxe version of the album show off Lipa’s expertise in crafting bubbly dance tracks, while the piano ballad “Homesick” lets her raw emotion and talent as a vocalist shine through.

With her first studio album still topping charts months after its release, Dua Lipa has made quite an entrance into the music world. I am excited to see where her career takes her as an artist, and if she ever thinks of any other helpful rules, I will be first in line to hear them.

If any student is interested in a Dua Lipa “New Rules” poster or bookmark, come to Mrs. Schiller’s room, B224, to pick one up.