Spicy chicken strips

More stories from Maggie Brown

A picture of the t-shirt for  spicy chicken strip advocates

Emma Clifton

A picture of the t-shirt for spicy chicken strip advocates

The students of Mount Vernon have recently become impassioned about changes in the cafeteria. A petition was originally sent out by Adrianna Broaddus on the night of September 28, 2017, to “Bring back the good spicy chicken strips, please.”

Spicy chicken strips were served on Thursdays in line D, and were extremely popular. Thursday the 28, the chicken strips were still served, but were an entirely different entree under the same name.

Multiple students sent out the petition with mass email, which was shut down by administration with a “ reminder that students are not allowed to send mass emails or reply all to any mass emails. If you have information, a survey, or petition you must send it to an administrator who will the send it out through our distribution lists if deemed appropriate.” Two emails were sent to remind students of this rule, and an announcement was made over the intercom.

“It’s interesting how he addressed the mass emails, but not the spicy chicken strips,” said Kira Smiley, 12, “very interesting.”

Members of the students and staff have expressed differing opinions on the issue.

Mrs. Scruggs believes that, “the situation didn’t need to be handled the way that it did, with the emails, but I agree with the stance on the spicy chicken strips. At the beginning of the year, they were very delicious.”

Students were heard in the cafeteria on Friday the 29 chanting, “Spicy chicken! Spicy chicken!” and pounding the tables multiple times throughout first lunch. It has been a major topic of conversation in the hallways, and although there are students who could care less, there are many who are outraged. Over 500 people have signed the petition already.

If you wish to sign the spicy chicken strip petition, it can be found at https://www.change.org/p/mount-vernon-high-school-bring-back-the-good-spicy-chicken-please-mount-vernon?recruiter=799993591&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial.combo_new_control_progress_bar&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.combo_new_control_progress_bar or in your email inbox.

If you would like to purchase a chicken strip advocate shirt, they are fifteen dollars, and orders can be placed at  https://www.customink.com/fundraising/spicy-chicken-strip-advocacy.