STEM branches out

More stories from Carly McWilliams

Oil Diffusers
May 18, 2018
MSD spirit day
April 17, 2018

Carly McWIlliams

Bulletin board from elementary STEM classroom is pictured.

Students at McCordsville, Fortville, and Mt. Comfort elementary schools have a new class in their weekly specials lineup.

Teacher Mrs. Tingwald travels around the schools to teach a STEM class, which covers science, technology, engineering, and math. This class has been added to the art, music, physical education, and library class rotation that elementary classes partake in.

Once a week, each class in third grade or higher gets a chance to learn about STEM through activities in topics such as computer science, robotics, and biomedicine. The class will also use an elementary-focused version of the Project Lead the Way program, which is incorporated in high school-level engineering classes.

picture of Mrs. Tingwald, elementary STEM teacher, sitting at her desk.
Mrs. Tingwald, elementary STEM teacher, sits at her desk.

Mrs. Tingwald taught individual grade levels for ten years before making the switch to STEM classes, and she is “thrilled” about her new position in the schools.

“[Dr. Robbins] suggested we pull this type of science out of the classroom, give it time during specials time and really let all kids try it out,” said Mrs. Tingwald. “I consider myself lucky to work in a district where we put the kids first and provide 21st Century curriculum at all ages.”

Carly McWilliams

Not all elementaries provide these opportunities to students. There are elementary schools nicknamed “magnet schools” that place an emphasis on science, but for regular elementaries, an open STEM class is a big step.

“Our school is unique in that we are offering the STEM learning experience to all third to fifth grade students,” said Mrs. Tingwald.

Interest in STEM programs for grade school students has increased recently, as organizations across the country work to bring more diversity to science and math fields. Many hope that sparking an interest in STEM subjects as early as elementary school will attract more to careers in those fields later in life.