Kickoff leads to a fresh start

Emme Longman, MVC Sports Editor

The freshman kickoff took place on July 26 and started at 9 am. Freshmen were taken to their classrooms, which were numbered 1 to 15 by the student’s last name, and introduced to their mentors. Once everyone was in their assigned rooms, they played a few meet-and-greet games.

The minute the students started to know each other, they learned part one of their dance, which was performed at the end of the day for the entire freshman class.

After learning a part of the dance, the students were given their schedule. A mentor was paired with a couple of freshman, and showed them where their classes and their locker were.

Later, after learning where their classes were, the freshman came back to their assigned classrooms and learned the second part of the dance.

Before going to lunch, the students gathered in the auditorium and were able to watch both the a capella groups, Locked Out and Formation, perform one of their songs. Later, lunch was served, which included many different types of pizza. There were over 90 pizzas bought for  the event.

Next, they were brought back to their rooms and were taught the final parts of the dance. Once the dances were completely learned, the freshman competed against the other groups. The overall winner was group 1: the Shakers.

Mrs. Riester and Ms. Johnson, and all the mentors, put in a lot of work throughout the summer.

“I thought it was successful, and it was super fun. I think the freshman had more fun than they thought they would,” said Halle Strege, 11.