Moment to meditate on mental health in May

Keiko Kreklau, Staff Writer

For many high school students, the month of May means the highly-anticipated end of the school year. However, May is also Mental Health Awareness Month, which can be an excellent and all-too-rare opportunity to discuss and emphasize various aspects of mental health.

To most people, the idea of good health instantly translates to their physical health. In most cases, physical ailments are more obvious to others, easier to diagnose, and simpler to treat than mental health. Regardless, mental health is still a very important component of overall health.
Unfortunately, even today, there is a level of stigma surrounding the topic of mental illness. This only increases the need for spreading awareness. The goal of Mental Health Awareness Month is to do exactly that; there are many opportunities such as Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week, Older Americans’ Mental Health Week, Schizophrenia Awareness Week, National Anxiety and Depression Awareness Week.

MV’s AP Psychology teacher, Mrs. Ruble, said, “I think it is a great thing to have the month of May dedicated to mental health. Any amount of time dedicated to the subject is an awesome step for our [American] society because we went through a period in history when mental illness was a taboo topic.”

Mental illness can affect any person, regardless of social status, family background, ethnicity, religion, gender, or physical health. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, nearly one out of every five Americans suffer from a form of mental illness, and more than 18% of adults in the United States suffer from an anxiety disorder in any given year. Furthermore, anxiety disorders affect about 25% of children between the ages of 13 and 18.

The good news is that treatment is an option, and growing awareness – such as during the month of May – prompts more and more sufferers to reach out for the help and treatment that they need.

Mrs. Ruble worded the positive outcomes perfectly, saying, “Even a day dedicated to raising awareness will help make the topic more open to discussion. People can feel comfortable to find the help they need, and other people will be able to interact and help sufferers better.”

Mental Health America’s focus for Mental Health Month 2017 is “Risky Business.” The website states, “We believe it’s important to educate people about habits and behaviors that increase the risk of developing or exacerbating mental illnesses, or could be signs of mental health problems themselves. These include risk factors such as risky sex, prescription drug misuse, internet addiction, excessive spending, marijuana use, and troublesome exercise patterns.”

For tips on boosting mental health and raising awareness during the month of May, visit the article here.