Just for juniors: prom lessons

Claire Dorsch, Editor in Chief

For juniors, prom is the practice prom. It is a chance for students to do prom and learn from their mistakes. This year, I attended prom with some of my best girlfriends, and I had a lot of fun with them, but that is not to say that everything went smoothly. Here are my tips for a better senior prom:

1. Plan ahead. I know this sounds like it is an unnecessary step and things will just happen, but on the contrary, it is necessary. My friends and I did not plan our day that well, so I was left feeling anxious with many people relying on me to figure out our schedule before heading to the venue. Make a schedule with accurate times of what needs to happen before prom so everyone knows what is happening and there is no confusion.
  2. Do not worry about your hair. I literally did not think of what to do with my hair until hours before prom. If there is an idea of a style that is appealing, try it out, or just see what sounds interesting while getting ready.
  3. Do not buy a dress/tux if it is too tight. I made the mistake of buying a size 15 instead of a 16 because the 16 was a little less fitting than I liked. While I was driving to prom, the metal in the corset dug into my stomach and I felt like throwing up all I had just eaten. Plus, dancing while it is impossible to get a deep breath is not a good idea.
  4. Get a ride to prom. Do not drive yourself. It is much easier to have a parent or another very trusted friend drive the group. It makes the ride to prom a lot smoother and reduces worry about the designated driver doing something that could potentially harm someone or themselves.

I hope these prom tips will help somebody going to their prom not make the same mistakes I did.