Advil may do more harm than good

Ashley Offenbach, News Editor

Advil is a common over-the-counter medicine that treats headaches, muscle pains, toothaches, cramps, and other minor injuries.

It has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for a great deal of time, but that may not last much longer.

Every over-the-counter and prescription drug has side effects, but Advil recently added one: liver damage. This was not added to the side effects label, but many people have experience issues and the FDA is questioning the damage it may cause to Adil products.

Taking one or two of these pills in a normal dose will not damage the liver, but overusing the drug can.

Gunnar Gislason, professor of cardiology at Copenhagen University in Denmark said, “Allowing these drugs to be purchased without a prescription, and without any advice or restrictions, sends a message to the public that they must be safe.”

Although this may be true, it should not prevent a person from taking ibuprofen, the main ingredient in Advil,  but rather cause users to watch how much they are taking.

PubMed Health stated, “The more commonly taken ibuprofen increased the chance of heart problems by just 18%.”

This has become an issue for many, but others seem to be skeptical about the damage it may cause.

Kailee Isham, 12, said, “I believe that as long as people don’t take it every day and they use it in moderation, they should not suffer liver damage.”

Ibuprofen in a regular dose, every four hours, will not cause permanent harm to a user, but constantly taking it may.