Mammoth of a fun time

Claire Dorsch, Editor in Chief

Spring Break is the ultimate vacation time for students and their families. Mammoth Cave is just one vacation or road-stop spot for families or students to experience some amazing underground natural caves and learn a thing or two about the cave system.

My family and I went to Mammoth Cave National Park over Spring Break, and we had so much fun. Although the weather on the surface was cold and chilling, inside the caves is was a balmy 50 degrees. I would walk in wearing three layers and walk out with only one still on my body. These conditions would even be great for summer vacations, the cooler temperatures a relief from the hot summer days.

Cave tours are so amazing, especially when  in the world’s longest and most extensive cave system. My family went on the Snowball Dining Room tour and the Cleveland Avenue tour. Each one was around a mile long, though the Snowball tour was around two hours long, a half hour longer than our first tour.

The caves were gorgeous and there are many trails to walk on without any ranger or tour being needed. I enjoyed going on a morning stroll with my brothers and mom before our second and last cave tour.

I learned about how the park was first founded and how humans have impacted the cave system, bringing light into places that for millions of years were in full darkness.

Mammoth Cave is a beautiful and educational place for families to visit to learn more about our world’s cave systems and how nature can be so amazing.