A few of my least favorite things

Claire Dorsch, Editor in Chief

So let me break this down for the folks in the back: I hate a lot of things. I do not know why most of the time, but there are just some occurrences in this world that grind my gears.

Number one: when people are put down for being feminine. What the heck is wrong with frilly dresses, makeup, and giggling? Being feminine has been a key insult amongst men for the past few decades, as if a man is less of a man because of his gender expression. Women are also not less serious or professional because they are not as aggressive or submissive as others expect them to be.

Number two: when a person tells me I cannot do something because it is not “ladylike.” The fact that our culture and society tells us that we cannot do something because it is not seen as being the behavior of a lady is ridiculous. It is not the 1800s here people. Get a grip. If the person next to me is not going to cross their legs on the subway, why should I?

Number three: putting people down because of their financial situation. I come from a family where budgeting has always and will always be a part of life. We cannot go willy nilly and buy a hot tub out of nowhere. We have to plan, save, and carefully manage our finances because that is how we have always done it. When I talk with other students who come from families with more money than me, and they ask why I cannot just go out and buy all these expensive school supplies, clothes, etc., I cannot help but give a snarky reply. I should not be put down or made to seem lesser than because my family has a different relationship with finances.

Many things grind my gears, but it is not the job of other people to keep me from getting annoyed at things.