Voices in harmony

Hannah Warfel, MVC Features Editor

MVHS has some very prominent school choirs. In addition to those choirs are two a cappella groups called “Locked Out” and “Formation.” This year, both groups have been preparing for a chance of a lifetime: “Voices in Harmony.”

“Voices in Harmony” is an a cappella festival in Lexington, Kentucky. Groups from all over the United States send in auditions to be able to participate in the festival. If they are chosen, they get to go perform and compete with other choirs.

“I think that we worked very hard on our music and did an amazing job on our audition,” said Abigail Tucker, 9. “We learned every note and dance move for each other as a group, not just for ourselves, and I think it payed off. We have grown very close, and personally I am very excited to spend a weekend doing what we love together and finding our voices together.”

The a cappella groups can win awards such as Best Choreography, Best Visual Movement, Best Vocals, Best Vocal Percussion, and Best Arrangement. If the a cappella groups win overall, they could go on to compete in the National High School A Cappella Championships.

“If we win the whole competition, I will be extremely excited to perform at a showcase with a very talented group of ladies,” said Mallory McKeeman, 10.

“Knowing me, I’ll probably cry if we win,” said Grace Russell, 9.

“Formation,” the all girls A Cappella group, auditioned with “Love Runs Out” by OneRepublic, with soloists Sadie Abel-Pace and Amanda Aguado. “Locked Out,” the mixed a cappella group auditioned with a mashup of “Light ’em Up” and “Girl on Fire” with soloists Cody Smitley and Lauren Pilkington.

Both groups made it into “Voices in Harmony.” The festival is on March 3 and 4, 2017.