Fortville Winter Festival

Joan Lee, MVC Staff Reporter

Although there were several other winter festivals, like in Cumberland and Greenfield, that were held on Saturday, December 3, I had the pleasure of going to the one in Fortville.

The Fortville Winter Festival is back for the holidays. This year, Fortville Action Inc. organized the Winter Festival. Fortville Action Inc. is an organization dedicated to making Fortville a better place by sponsoring and organizing events and projects for the community.

The Winter Festival was held from 10 in the morning to 8 in the evening. Mt. Vernon High School cheerleaders and choirs were able to be a part of the parade. The middle school choir students were also in the parade. In addition to the parade, there were several vendors, and most of the stores were open. The middle school band arrived after the parade and played for everyone who passed by.

“I think Winter Fest was fun this year,” said Grace Russell, 9. “Not only was it a great experience singing in the parade, but I think it was a good way to show the community what our choirs can do. I also think it was a good experience for Formation, Mt. Vernon’s new all girls a cappella group. It was our first kind of ‘debut’ to the community, and I think everyone really enjoyed it.”

While choir members explored the shops and vendors, they also stopped to sing carols.  Some choir students stayed awhile longer at the festival to join MV’s a cappella groups, Locked Out and Formation, as they sang Christmas carols for the lighting of the Christmas tree.

Darby Fehl