ASL honors are worth it

ASL honors are worth it

Ashley Offenbach, News Editor

Graduating with American Sign Language Honors is well worth it because it gives many opportunities after graduation.

I plan on minoring in ASL/English Interpreting in college, so doing this program was no doubt the best decision.

It requires five hours of community service in the deaf community or helping the better deaf world. I was intimidated by this number and afraid I would not be able to complete it.

I got one hour at the Hancock County Public Library reading and teaching ASL to young kids and the remaining four at the PTCO Day Race at the deaf school. These hours were not difficult to get, but required planning and doing work outside of the meetings.

One also must complete ASL I and II before graduation to be eligible for the honors.

It also requires maintaining a 3.5 GPA in all ASL classes and at least a 3.2 GPA in all high school classes.

There are only three people this year graduating with ASL Honors: Sam Jobe, Payton Hooten, and myself.

Sam Jobe, 12, said, “I was definitely worth it, my future is in sign language and this really got me into the community I’ll soon be working in. It’s a new program but as the love for the language grows I hope the need and want for ASLHS will grow.”

The ASL Honors Program is new to MVHS this year, but all people who will graduate with it say it is well worth it.

Payton Hooten, 12, said, “It was highly worth it. It lets our community unite with the deaf community in ways people don’t get to everyday. It was an amazing learning experience plus it was great to do something with the deaf community and see how different the two communities are.”

The cords to graduate are around eleven dollars and will be worn at graduation to show we have completed the above requirements.

Whether or not you are planning on continuing ASL after high school, the honors program is a great accomplish.

If you are in ASL and interested in this program, it looks great on high school transcripts, volunteer hours, and community service. I am extremely glad I decided to do this, and Sam and Payton both agree as well.