Around the world in one night

Carly McWilliams, Reviews editor

Every year, juniors and seniors at MV wait in anticipation to discover what the theme of this year’s prom will be. For 2017, the chosen theme is “One Night, One World” which will incorporate different cultures from around the globe into the atmosphere and decor of prom night.

Personally, I enjoy the idea of this theme. It is very different from proms of the past, which have had themes centered around pop culture such as “Alice in Wonderland” and “The Great Gatsby.” However, I think it will be fun to have a diverse range of cultures as a part of our prom, since so many of our students are diverse as well.

The theme is especially fitting for this year’s prom since five foreign exchange students are currently studying at Mt. Vernon. Also, with worldwide tension growing due to recent events, the idea of one world coming together for a night is a nice sentiment.

Other MV students are happy with this year’s theme as well.

“I like it. I think because we have so many foreign exchange students, it opens everyone’s eyes to the different cultures we have,“ Cassie Swoveland, 11, said.

However, some students have a different opinion.

“I don’t like it because I don’t think it fits very well with the venue. There were other themes that would have been better,” Olivia Caldwell, 12, said.

My only concern about this theme is that some students may see this concept as a veiled political statement, or an opportunity to demean or appropriate other cultures.

Regardless of views on the world, high school prom should be a night free of judgement and criticism to have fun with friends and peers. It is my hope that a fun, teenage tradition does not turn into a battleground of beliefs or mockery of foreign cultures.