Sold on “Sold”

Keiko Kreklau, Staff Writer

Warning: Placing this book down mid-story is extremely difficult. “Sold” by Patricia McCormick tells the tale of Lakshmi, a thirteen-year-old, as she develops both as a young woman and as a testament to female strength and resilience. Written in a free-verse style from Lakshmi’s own perspective, the novel is a page-turner.

On the other hand, while captivating, the story is troubling to read at times due to the genuine shock factor of Lakshmi’s daily burdens.  Lakshmi faces the loss of loved ones, daily chores in the sweltering heat, and sacrifices no woman should ever have to make.

Nevertheless, McCormick proves very successful in opening teenaged readers to the struggle others of a similar age face each day.  McCormick’s decision to tell the story through a young survivor’s perspective, and her ability to weave complementing literary elements fuze to forge a compelling novel that sheds light on an off-the-radar crisis across the globe.   

I recommend this book to mature teenagers, particularly any young woman who feels as if her voice is not being heard. This story is empowering and reiterates the truth that every individual is entitled to care for themselves, stand up for what is right, and vocalize concerns for personal well being. Factors such as money, worldly possessions, and appearance do not trump morals and safety at anytime.

While Lakshmi and children like her face survival struggles far different than ones American students are likely accustomed to, this book reveals how similar human beings remain. No one is exempt from experiencing pain, fear, hopelessness, courage, empowerment, and perseverance.

McCormick’s “Sold” is a fantastic read with a captivating premise, beautiful characters, and humbling themes.